Adventures in Mexico

Adventures in Mexico
At a tequila distillerywith the daughters over Christmas

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

What could go wrong?

The very helpful Peace Corps nurse called today to say that we were almost cleared! My doctor forgot to put the polio shot on the form (although I got it), and we didn't enclose the results on one of the tests even though she marked that I was clear. So I'll see her tomorrow and get that taken care of. I'm going to the second interview for the great job tomorrow even though it looks like Peace Corps is going to come through.

I don't see how legal could be a problem and we've cleared medical (almost) now. I guess we'll be off to sub-Saharan Africa. I keep refreshing the Peace Corps wiki to see if Tanzania posts. I can't help thinking they'll have a September departure as they did last year.

Another person at work found out today and her reaction was great: "that is so cool!" It's interesting how different people react. Some are shocked. Some are excited for us. Our friends want to visit us, and we've promised to come home at least once.

Our daughter who is just starting in Peace Corps Panama, on the other hand, is having doubts. She just got her post today and it sounds fabulous. She's going to be 10 miles out of a provincial capital, in a town with running water and great mountain views where she can have a horse. She will live with a family for three months and then build a house. She'll visit the site and then decide if she wants the adventure or to go back to her college town and teach riding and hang out with her friends. We'll see. Of course we think she should go for the adventure but we are really trying not to pressure her. If it's right for her, she'll do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment